Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Lit A Fuse"

7.29.08
             A few weeks before I started school down here in Orlando I was finishing up a mission trip in Baltimore Maryland. I got back into Albany on Saturday the 26th of July and ended staying home a few more days before heading back to Orlando. Once I packed my last few things and hooked up my brand new GPS i was on my way for a four to five hour drive, which i was dreading. Anyone who owns a GPS or that has any knowledge at all, knows that GPS' systems are powered with rechargeable batteries but left plugged into cigarette lighters for a chance that it might run out of battery. (common sense right?) 
          Well about an hour or so outside of Albany my beautiful new GPS started yelling at me. "LOW BATTERY" flashed across the screen as an automated voice read along. "What?!" I said out-loud as if the pre-recorded woman was going to respond. I took the GPS off and made sure it was plugged in and made sure it was pushed all the way in the actual cigarette lighter itself. Not being able to figure it out i unplugged it and tried my phone charger and again nothing. I called my dad and asked what he thought and something that I should have figured out myself but guess I'm just not that smart that maybe the fuse was blown. 
          Before the GPS died it quickly looked for some type of auto store or outlet that may have fusses. I saw a few places but the nearest was some local used auto-parts, so i figured they would have a walk in part of the store where they sold small plugs and hoses and hoping for some fuses. I turned off the main highway once i saw the sign, paved road quickly turned into a bumpy dirt road. I had no idea what i had gotten myself into but i was desperate. I figured if they didn't have any they could tell me who did. I took a turn around a corner and the first thing i saw was 4 or 5 goats. Goats?! Where am I?! I thought to myself.
           As I drove over the cow or i guess in this case goat stopper thing, you know where on ranches they have those metal poles over the whole to if any animal attempts to get out their hoof will get stuck to where they can't go anywhere. (best way i can describe it w/o the actual real name of it, don't make fun) I pull up to a junk yard of at least 100 cars, vans, and trucks or more, A single wide trailer with a wooden deck on the front of it and a man who looks like Uncle Remus after twenty years of aging, twice as long of a beard, and 100 pounds heavier. 
          "Umm, Excuse me sir..." i yelled at Uncle Remus as he was shooing goats away from my truck.
          "Yes sir, how can i help you?" he replied
          "Yeah, i think i've blown a fuse do you know of anywhere i can get some anywhere near here?"
with no hesitation he replied, "Yeah your looking at it. (pointing to the hundred or so cars) there aren't any engines in these cars but the fuses still are!"
          With a pair of needle nose pliers I climbed in and out of anywhere from 10 to 30 year old cars. Ending up crawling out of a Cadillac i found a 15, exactly what i needed....Walked back up to the trailer and the goats to ask the man how much and he just replied, "You fetched them yourself,  they're yours!" Thanking him several times i plugged in the fuse, got back in my truck, and turned the GPS back on and headed for Orlando, FL. 

Who else would this happen to? 
No one other than me!
Ben Mcleod

No comments: